Earrings and ear piercings, in particular, hold their place in fashion stably for thousands of years. However, despite that, not everyone is a fan of going through the discomfort of getting piercings done. With that in mind, many creative minds invented practices like clip-on earrings and magnetic earrings, although it took time for them to become trendy and fashionable around the world. If you want to wear earrings but don’t like the idea of getting your ears pierced, we’ll introduce you to the trend of the best magnetic earrings.
Still, if you have pierced ears but are up to something new, you’re more than welcome to check this article out.
In the Post
- What are Magnetic Earrings?
- When were Magnetic Earrings Invented?
- Benefits of Wearing These Earrings
- Are There Any Risks of Wearing Magnetic Earrings?
- Are These Earrings Stably Fixed on Ears?
- How to Maintain These Earrings?
- Where to Buy Best Magnetic Earrings
- Final Words
What are Magnetic Earrings?
As their name suggests, magnetic earrings are an ear “piercing” that consists of two magnets holding against the ear lobe through attraction via a magnetic field. The magnetic field is created between two magnets attracted to an earlobe resulting in a stable connection that doesn’t require you to pierce your earlobe.
Magnetic earrings range in sizes, although it’s more recommended to use larger magnets because of the surface area. The clip-on earrings did excellent work in keeping the ears protected. However, magnetic earrings distribute the pressure more evenly so it’s milder and you nearly don’t even notice that you have an earring on. Another great thing is that magnetic earrings are equally favored by both men and women.
Magnetic earrings are made using various different metals, although ceramic earrings are definitely the most popular. It’s mainly because of the mild pressure on the ears, and comfort they provide. Ceramics is also a hypoallergenic material, unlike many metals that can cause an uncomfortable allergy or leave ugly, black marks on the ears.
Needless to say, magnetic earrings are the best choice for those who don’t feel comfortable with piercing their earlobe or have outgrown the discomfort of maintenance of the regular earrings. The magnets are perfect in mimicking the actual earrings, and most likely, no one will notice them until they get extremely close to you.
When were Magnetic Earrings Invented?
Pierced ears and earrings, in particular, are of ancient culture. They have popularized thousands of years ago, with different wearing styles just coming up. However, magnetic earrings came much later. In fact, they have only been popularized recently, and first appeared about two centuries ago.
The reason they came so late to Europe and the Americas is that people used different ornaments to decorate themselves. Primarily, hats, bonnets, ties, veils and other head decorations sufficed in women or men not having to wear earrings. However, as the 19th century drew to its end, and the 20th century emerged, there was a necessity to get rid of those decorations. Women and men alike had to find a new way to stay decorated, as their head is now naked.
Ear decoration movement
The 20th century saw a dramatic shift in women’s fashion, with the women’s independence taking action too. The earlobes were exposed and women wanted to voice themselves about a new decoration suitable for their ears.
Piercing the ear, however, wasn’t one of the best options due to the pain. There was no piercing pistol and most of the piercings were done using a bare needle. With poor hygiene, peaking diseases and other factors that precede the appearance of reliable medicines and antibiotics, many women feared to get their ears pierced.
That said, the women who didn’t want to undergo the then slow and extremely painful ear modification came up with the idea of clip-on and magnetic earrings. However, clip-on earrings weren’t all that great because they had to support huge weight in earrings, which often led to discomfort. The magnetic earrings have a more even distribution of load and pressure allowing people to wear heavier stones on their earrings.
During the 1950s, regular ear piercings once again became more popular with the appearance of medicines. Additionally, piercers introduced more sophisticated methods for ear piercings. Nevertheless, the reserved amount of people still preferred wearing fake earrings. Despite that, it was only at the beginning of the 21st century that this type of earrings got legs.
New materials in a new century
With the beginning of the 21st century, new magnets appeared more durable and more lasting magnetic materials. Such magnets are able to stick to the ear for a long time regardless of size. Additionally, these magnets can carry larger gemstones and crystals without causing an injury. They are also becoming more affordable than they used to, so they are approachable to everyone.
They’ve become extremely popular because of the people who don’t want to go through a permanent change on their ears. Some earrings are known to stretch the earlobe causing discomfort, but magnetic earrings don’t do that. Additionally, some people can experience discomfort and irritation, as well as pain after piercing their ears, so this comes as a painless solution.
Most magnetic earrings feature a simplistic look. It’s mostly a stud-like pair of earrings with a magnet located inside the jewel. Another magnet gets under the earlobe to fix the stud in one position.
Benefits of Wearing These Earrings
It’s no secret that magnetic earrings are easy to wear. There are various different shapes and designs which we will introduce with more detail below. While there are some small risks such as hazards to children, but the benefits are much higher if you’re careful.
It’s worth noting that magnetic earrings are usually more subtle and discreet in their design, but that doesn’t mean you’ll look less stylish.
Let’s take a look at the benefits of having magnetic earrings.
- No piercing required – It’s ideal for people who want to avoid the hassle of piercing their ear and going through unneeded discomfort or infection. Also, it’s great for people who wear earrings only occasionally.
- Minimalistic – They boast a minimalistic design that is ideal for work and looking discrete. They are suitable for both women and men, and they are often favored by children who are scared of getting their ears pierced but want to look stylish.
- High-quality magnet – With the development of more powerful magnets, there are more durable options than in the past. That said, they are secure and fixed in a position from which it’s highly unlikely to fall out.
- Painless – Wearing magnetic earrings is genuinely painless and doesn’t cause any discomfort. On the other hand, wearing heavy clip-on and pierced earrings can cause a lot of discomforts, soreness and redness. The pressure on the earlobe is minimal and unnoticeable.
- No allergies – The earrings are usually made of materials that aren’t prone to causing allergic reactions. Piercing earrings made of materials containing nickel can cause discomfort, irritation, and allergy.
- Easily applicable – Unlike piercings that can take some time to put in due to an odd shape or length of the needle, magnetic earrings are easy to put. They don’t require more than a single hand movement.
- Affordable – Gold and silver earrings can be extremely expensive. On the other hand, magnetic earrings are much more expensive, even with the more sophisticated models that have expensive gemstones imbued or etched on.
Are There Any Risks of Wearing Magnetic Earrings?
While magnetic earrings became extremely popular among people, there are some dangers worth pointing out. For example, as mentioned above, these earrings are extremely popular among children due to their sensitive earlobes, and fear of getting ears pierced. However, there are certain dangers of wearing them.
Despite being targeted towards children, it may happen that a child may swallow them. It is extremely rare but it happens among little children, younger than three.
Magnetic earrings now work mainly with strong magnets that can cause internal damage if swallowed by children. That said, it’s important to be super-careful with little children and keep them out of range.
Another danger caused by this strong magnet can be damage to electronic devices. The foreign magnetic field could cause interference in the magnetic field created by alternating current in various electrical appliances which could cause damage or short circuit if there’s no certain level of protection.
The effect of magnetic earrings on electronic devices can be so high that it can interfere in the function of a pacemaker in case of a heart condition. A disrupted pacemaker can cause heart rhythm to change which could have implications for people’s health.
Are These Earrings Stably Fixed on Ears?
In the last years, many large jewelry stores started offering strong magnetic earrings. However, not all magnets are as strong if you’re looking for an affordable option. Low-quality magnetic earrings use sub-par magnets that are weak and can cause the earrings to fall off. So, when you’re working out, running, jumping or doing any exquisite physical activity, it can happen that your magnetic earrings would fall off.
Still, that’s extremely rare. The magnetic earrings became so popular that even the better-quality magnets have approachable prices. Nevertheless, for your own security, it’d be best to inspect the quality of your earrings before purchasing them. That way you’ll avoid unwanted surprises.
How to Maintain These Earrings?
Just because you have magnetic earrings, that doesn’t mean you have to care less for them compared to the regular piercing earrings. However, the care and hygiene depend on the materials used for the earrings. That said, don’t soak the earrings in the pure water as it can cause damage. Additionally, avoid using strong dish wash and other chemicals that can damage the gems that exist on earrings.
It’d be the best to clean them with mild liquid soap and then dry them in soft cloth slowly. Make sure to place them in a jewelry pouch or box to avoid damage to the magnets or gemstones on them.
Where to Buy Best Magnetic Earrings
Although local, street retailers offer a lot of magnetic earrings, the development of internet services allowed the online sale to bloom. That said, there are a lot of online sellers of magnetic earrings and below we’ll list the best samples we’ve found.
Amazon remains the top retailer of everything you can imagine. Magnetic earrings are no exception. Here are some models we’ve found particularly amazing.
- United Duo – If you are looking for a model with a specific accent, resembling a rock or gothic style, the spiky, United Duo is a great option for you. The spiky design looks stylish and appealing and comes in multiple colors. The black, however, is the most appealing.
- RIOSO – In addition to great samples of magnetic earrings for men and women, you will also find different handmade jewelry, clip-on earrings, and piercings.
- Fashionsupermarket – It boasts mainly earring designs for men, boasting screws, bullet-like designs in different colors, as well as other types of earrings for both men and women.
- Jstyle – This retailer boasts a selection of gorgeous magnetic earring sets with diamonds and other gems flattering the studs. Check out their original models.
- Zealmer – This store sports all kinds of versatile jewelry, and the colorful magnetic earrings look very stunning.
- Spiritlele – If you’re looking for magnetic earrings for children, this store boasts great childish designs and multiple colors.
- Bling Jewelry – Another retailer that boasts diamond magnetic earrings with elegant and sophisticated finish. Easy to put and affordable.
- Loyallook – This retailer sells earring sets so it’s great for people who like to change. They boast good magnet quality and are affordable.
- Hicarer – Whether you’re looking for male or female earrings, this retailer sports the largest selection of designs you’ll fall in love with.
- WAINIS – Like its name suggests this retailer makes great magnetic earrings of stainless steel and they look stunning.
Etsy and Claire’s US are just some of the wonderful online shops you could check out if you’re looking for stylish magnetic earrings to buy. What’s your experience with magnetic earrings? Please leave a comment and let us know!